Spicy Barbecue Chicken
Helen Botham, renal dietitian at Salford Royal has kindly provided this great recipe for a summer barbecue. This dish, Spicy Barbecue Chicken, makes a great summer meal that is quick and easy to prepare. Using fresh ingredients, it is full of flavour and low in salt.
- 4 Chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 tbsp low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Garlic clove, skinned and crushed
- 1 tsp Ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- Mix the yoghurt, flour, vinegar, oil, garlic and peppercorns with 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Make slits in the chicken about 1 cm apart and sprinkle with lemon juice
- Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with the yoghurt mixture. Chill for several hours turning occasionally.
- Grill or barbecue the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes on each side until the juices run clear
Serve with boiled potatoes, rice or couscous and a boiled vegetable or salad of your choice.
Recipe taken from ‘Food with Thought’ cookbook. This recipe book and links to several other kidney friendly cookbooks can be found on the GMKIN website: http://gmkin.org.uk/renal-recipe-books/ It can also be downloaded FREE on: https://www.kidney.org.uk/documentlibrary/food_with_thought.pdf