Pancakes aren’t just for Pancake Day and with some sensible filling options they can be enjoyed by all! – elaborate flipping optional.
Easy pancake recipe – Serves 2
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300mls milk ( from daily milk allowance)
- A little sunflower oil for frying
- Place the flour, eggs and milk into a bowl and whisk together into a smooth batter. Rest for 30minutes
- Wipe a frying pan with a little sunflower oil using a piece of kitchen towel. When hot, pour a little batter into the pan and fry until golden on each side.
- Why not try cooking in advance and freezing between pieces of parchment.
One of the most widely used ingredients, milk is often referred to as a complete food. While cow…
For an alternative on that classic dessert lemon cheesecake, choose 1 pancake and top with the following:
- 1 dollop of crème fraiche
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of Lemon curd
Why not use as an alternative to a tortilla wrap and fill with grilled chicken, cucumber, shredded lettuce and mayonnaise. Add a small teaspoon of Pesto to your mayo for an Italian twist. Lower in salt than pre-made tortillas, and makes lunchtime more exciting!
Filling 3 – serves 4
It is often thought that tomatoes must be excluded from a potassium lowering diet. However it is possible to have a main meal with a tomato based sauce, provided you don’t have potatoes that day. This filling for your pancake would be a good example of a suitable tomato based sauce.
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 450g Mince beef
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder –1/2 tsp (or increase to your taste)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- Jar of grilled red peppers
- Fry the onion garlic and spices in a small amount of oil, until the onions are softened. Add the mince beef and stir until browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Leave on a low heat to simmer for 30mins, or until the liquid has reduced.
- Chop and add the grilled red peppers for some added sweetness to the dish.
- Spoon about two dessert spoons of the mixture into each pancake and serve with a green salad.
- If you have any cheese left from your weekly allowance this could be sprinkled over the top and grilled.
Note that a small side salad would count as one of your 4 portions of fruit and veg/day if following a Potassium restriction.