This week’s CKD friendly recipe from the renal dietitians from Salford Royal is for Jam Turnovers, a sweet treat!
- puff pastry – 225g (9oz)
- jam – 225g (9oz)- choose strawberry/ raspberry jam
- egg white – 1
- caster sugar – 25g (1oz)
- double cream – 4 tablespoons
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 0.5cm (¼ inch). Using a cutter, cut into 10cm (4inch) rounds. This is the size of a saucer or small side plate which will work if you don’t have access to a cutter.
- Roll each round until slightly oval 12 x 10 cm (5×4 inches). Moisten the edges, using a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Place the jam of your choice in the centre of each oval. Fold over and seal firmly- prod the sides of each pastry fold with a fork to ensure it is sealed properly. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Place each fold with the coated, sugar side up on a greased baking tray. These are now ready to be baked for 15-20 min the oven (220 ºC, Gas mark 7, 425 ºF)
- Serve with a dollop of double cream.
Developed from resources by the Irish Kidney Diet website, produced by the INDI (Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute).