Easter decorated biscuits
Have fun with the younger members of your family creating Easter-inspired designs on these tasty biscuits.
Recipe (makes 24)
100g/3½oz unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
100g/3½oz caster sugar
1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
275g/10oz plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g/14oz icing sugar
3-4 tbsp water
2-3 drops food colouring, as desired
Your choice of jelly sweets, sprinkles etc for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until well combined.
- Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1cm/½in.
- Using biscuit cutters, cut biscuits out of the dough and carefully place onto the baking tray.
- Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to harden for a few minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in the food colouring to create colours as desired.
- Have fun decorating the biscuits! Carefully spread the coloured icing onto the biscuits using a knife and create Easter-themed designs using writing icing pens or contrasting icing (spoon into a piping bag with a fine nozzle). Add jelly sweets, mini-marshmallows and sprinkles for extra detail. Set biscuits aside until the icing hardens.
Amended with thanks from BBC ‘good food’ website.